How we help enrich lives
If we are going to help our residents live better, then it is our responsibility to offer them every opportunity to be actively engaged and involved. At Extendicare Tuxedo Villa, we provide social and recreational services seven days a week - including holidays. These services are designed to meet the physical, emotional, spiritual, and intellectual needs of our residents. All activities are developed, organized and led by qualified staff and we offer both group and individualized services to meet residents’ unique needs and circumstances. Examples of our recreational services and activities include:
- Sensory Program: Our Sensory Program uses tactile, visual and auditory stimuli such as yarn, tools, music and colourful lighting to engage and stimulate our residents living with Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia.
- Pub Day: Once a month we have Pub Day when residents relax and socialize over a maximum of 2 drinks.
- Themed Events: We have themed events at least once a month that include Valentine’s Day, Folklorama, Hallowe’en. Oktoberfest, Remembrance Day and more.
- Pet Therapy: Twice a month the St. John’s Ambulance Pet Therapy dogs come into our home to visit with residents.
- Our Resident Cats: We also have two resident rescue cats, Jazz and Cameo, who have the run of the home.
- Seated Exercise Class: We have seated exercise classes three times a week that focus on range of motion, strength, balance and flexibility.
- Live Entertainment: Twice a month we have live entertainment featuring a variety of performers from the community.
- Seniors’ Buddies Intergenerational Program: Our Seniors’ Buddies Intergenerational Program brings students into our home once a week to spend time with residents, reading, books, playing games, doing puzzles, talking, singing and more.
- Games & Trivia: Bocce ball, shuffleboard, trivia games, and twice-weekly bingo are very popular with our residents.
- Gardening Group: Our Gardening Group plants flowers and vegetables in raised planters around the patio.
- Music Therapy: Two days a week, our Music Therapist comes to run both group and individual programs using the power of music to connect with and engage residents.
- Baking Program: The monthly Baking Program is very popular with residents and staff.
- Manicure Sessions: Ladies enjoy the chance to have their nails done in our weekly Manicure sessions.
- News and Views Program: Our News and Views Program brings residents together to discuss the headlines in the newspapers and talk about world events.
- Movie Night: Weekly Movie Night, complete with popcorn, is always popular.
- Monthly Birthday Bash: At our Monthly Birthday Bash, residents enjoy a cake, candles, a card and a rousing chorus of “Happy Birthday to You”.
- Sing-along & Karaoke: Weekly sing-alongs and Karaoke are always well attended.
We also offer a wide range of physiotherapy, cognitive, speech and occupational therapies according to the needs of our residents. Currently we offer:
- Occupational Therapist
- Respiratory Therapist
- Music Therapist
- Social Worker